Consumers Energy is helping income-qualified customers afford and manage their monthly energy costs with the CARE 3.0 Program.
This is a huge opportunity for income challenged and at risk individuals to have 40 percent of their energy bill forgiven!
Consumers Energy developed the Consumers Affordable Resource for Energy (CARE) Program in partnership with the above (3) assistance agencies and the Department of Human Services (DHS) to help eligible low income customers with a history of energy assistance to afford monthly energy bills. The program is funded through a State of Michigan grant from the Low-Income Energy Assistance Fund (LIEAF), administered by the MPSC. Customers enrolled in CARE may not receive crisis assistance for energy from the DHS State Emergency Relief (SER) program.What is CARE?
The CARE Program provides:
- A 40% CARE bill credit on energy charges from the time of enrollment through August 2014.
- “Fresh Start” arrearage assistance on past due balances if needed at the time of enrollment. Customers cannot carry a past due account balance (greater than $75) onto the plan.
- Energy awareness via EASE (Everyday Actions Save Energy) online curriculum, including a customized home energy profile report with low-cost/no-cost tips.
- Opportunity for gas and combination customers to receive in-home weatherization services through Consumers Energy’s existing Helping Neighbors program.
- Dedicated assistance agencies to support CARE participants to improved energy account management.
The CARE Program eligibility criteria include:
- Must be an active residential Consumers Energy Account Holder or spouse of account holder.
- Must have a household income no greater than 150% of Federal Poverty Level (FPL).
- Must NOT have unaddressed theft/fraud on account.
- Must be single metered.
- Space is limited, and enrollment ends on January 31, 2014.
- Click here to sign up, or contact one of the CARE partner agencies below.
- Your local Salvation Army (http://sawmni.org/cecare)
- TrueNorth Community Services (1-800-379-0221), or
- THAW (1-877-646-2818)
- Tell the Agency you want to participate in the Consumers Energy CARE program, and they will make an appointment for you.
Click here to access the CARE 3.0 Program application
To learn more about CARE, visit the program’s FAQs page.