Change Font Size:


Where can I get assistance with my utility bills?

You must seek assistance from your local Michigan Department of Human Services (DHS) Office before proceeding to other helping agencies. Remember you must have a shut-notice, court ordered eviction or foreclosure in order to receive assistance from such agencies.
Please visit this website to find a DHS Office in your area:

Genesee County- DHS/ Salvation Army/ Genesee County Community Action Recourse Department (GCCARD)/ Catholic Outreach/ Outreach East

Lapeer County-
DHS/ Salvation Army/ Hispanic Service Center/ Human Development
For more information in Lapeer County please visit:

Shiawassee County-
DHS/ Salvation Army/ Capital Area Community Service/ St. Vincent DePaul
For more resources in Shiawassee County please visit:

Phone numbers for these resources are listed at the bottom of this page.

How do I obtain Power of Attorney (POA) or Guardianship?

POA may be obtained by signing a voluntary agreement by which a competent individual gives another person power to handle medical and/or financial matters for the individual. You must be at least 18 years old and have the capacity to enter into such a contract. POA is a private agreement and does not have to be filed with the probate court.

Guardianship may be obtained by filing for a petition with probate court. You must complete all forms; provide a doctor’s letter stating the prognosis of your loved ones condition and pay a court filing fee. A hearing will be set for you and your loved one, if your loved one is unable to attend the doctor’s letter must indicate why he/she is unable to attend the hearing. Guardianship forms are available at the probate court.

More information on Power of Attorney and Guardianships may be obtained from your State Legislators’ office, Area Agency on Aging or legal office. You may find these websites helpful: or

Who can I call for transportation to my medical appointments?

Several agencies provide transportation to and from medical appointments such as; Your Ride, Jewish Community Services, Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) and the Department of Human Services.

Where can I find help with home repairs?

Assistance with home repairs may be obtained from Flint Neighborhood Improvement Preservation Project (RSVP), Genesee County Community Action Resource Department (GCCARD), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Genesee County Home Improvement Program, Metro Housing and Michigan State Housing Development Authority.

Where can I find help to get a ramp?

Assistance with a ramp may be obtained through your local United Way, Disability Network, Valley Area Agency on Aging, DHS and other agencies that provide assistance with home repairs.

Companies & ResourcesGenesee CountyShiawassee CountyLapeer County
Salvation Army810-232-2196989-725-7485989-723-9753
Hispanic Services810-724-3665
Capital Area Comm. Service989-725-7285
Catholic Outreach810-234-4693
Outreach East810-653-7711
Human Development810-664-7133
St. Vincent Paul664-8594
United Way810-232-8121989-723-4987810-667-2912
USDA810-230-8766 ext. 4810-230-8766 ext. 4810-673-8173 ext. 6
Flint NIPP